Error: dynamodb getItem() is not a function
What's Causing This Error
This error occurs when the DynamoDB object you use does not contain the
getItem() function. For example, the document client does not contain the
getItem() function, but contains the
Solution - Here's How To Resolve It
Try one of the following steps to resolve the error:
1. Install the AWS SDK.
Verify that you have installed the AWS SDK in the project. If you have not installed it, use the below command to install the SDK.
npm i aws-sdk // for Node.js
2. Instantiate a DynamoDB object from the correct import.
Make sure you use the DynamoDB object as shown in the code snippet below.
const aws = require('aws-sdk'); const dynamo = new aws.DynamoDB();
3. Use Valid Naming
getItem() and not
getitem() to invoke the function. The method is only available in camel casing convention.
Other Common DynamoDB Errors (with Solutions)
- DynamoDB sorting is not supported for scan expressions
- DynamoDB string set may not be empty
- DynamoDB type is not supported
- DynamoDB local is not available for stage test
- DynamoDB table not updating
- DynamoDB is already installed on a path
- a socket operation was attempted to an unreachable network dynamodb
- DynamoDB is missing the key id in the item
- dynamodb could not be mapped for type string
- Error retrieving DynamoDB table item validation exception
- dynamodb unable to locate property for key attribute
- error updating dynamodb table time to live
- failed to list tables not authorized dynamodb
- dynamodb is abstract cannot be instantiated
- DynamoDB scan limit not working