Question: Is DynamoDB good for analytics?
It is true that because you cannot run arbitrary queries against DynamoDB tables (technically speaking you can but it's extremely inefficient due to Scan nature), you cannot perform ad-hoc reports of your data. That might be disappointing. However, there are solutions to that:
- You can stream your data from DynamoDB to Redshift or some other relational database built for reporting and analytics purposes
- You can build aggregation functions on your own. These functions plugged to the DynamoDB Streams will be automatically recalculating your composite statistics or rollups providing always the most up-to-date state of some aggregate.
Other Common DynamoDB FAQ (with Answers)
- Is DynamoDB columnar database?
- Is DynamoDB highly available?
- Does DynamoDB support atomic updates?
- When to use DynamoDB?
- How resilient is DynamoDB?
- Is DynamoDB good for unstructured data?
- Can DynamoDB store relational data?
- Is DynamoDB document-based?
- Is DynamoDB serverless?
- What type of database is DynamoDB?
- Does DynamoDB Support SQL?
- What is DynamoDB used for?
- Is DynamoDB a relational database?
- Which AWS regions support DynamoDB?
- How is data stored in DynamoDB?
© 2022 Dynobase