Error: DynamoDB Is Not Null
What's Causing This Error
In DynamoDB, the "Not Null" constraint is automatically enforced for all primary key attributes and secondary index key attributes. This means that when you insert or update an item, all primary key and secondary index key attributes must have a value, and cannot be
null. If you try to insert or update an item with a
null value for a primary key or secondary index key attribute, you will receive an error.
Solution: Here's How To Resolve It
There are a few ways to solve the error of trying to insert or update an item with a
null value for a primary key or secondary index key attribute in DynamoDB:
- Provide a non-null value for the primary key or secondary index key attribute when inserting or updating the item.
- If the primary key or secondary index key attribute is optional, you can use the
NULLvalue to indicate that the attribute is not present.
- You can also change the schema of your table to allow for null values in primary key or secondary index key attributes. However, this is not recommended as it can lead to data inconsistencies and may make it difficult to query your data.
- If you are updating a item, you can use the
update_itemmethod and use a
condition_expressionto ensure the value is not null before updating the item
- If you are using the AWS SDK, you can also use the ConditionExpression parameter in the PutItem and UpdateItem operations to check for
nullvalues and prevent the item from being inserted or updated if the condition is not met.
Other Common DynamoDB Errors (with Solutions)
- Float types are not supported. Use decimal types instead.
- dynamodb could not connect to the endpoint url
- DynamoDB no attribute schema defined
- DynamoDB cannot delete the table
- DynamoDB is missing the key id in the item
- DynamoDB scan limit not working
- dynamodb query is null
- dynamodb the table does not have the specified index
- Could not connect to the endpoint URL https:dynamodb.singapore.amazonaws.com
- a socket operation was attempted to an unreachable network dynamodb
- aws.dynamodb.documentclient is not a constructor
- dynamodb system error cloudwatch
- ProvisionedThroughputExceededException DynamoDB
- dynamodb condition does not exist
- accessdeniedexception dynamodb
Better DynamoDB experience.
Try 7-day free trial. No strings attached.
© 2023 Dynobase